"And ye shall teach... your children... when thou
sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou
liest down, and when thou risest up." Deuteronomy 6:7
Beginning Home Schooling:
When do I send in my first Notice of Intent to Home School?
(1) Within 30 days of beginning your Home School program and/or when your child is 6 years old before February 1 of the school year.
August is a good time!
(a child turning 6 before February 1 of the school year is subject to compulsory attendance and must attend school regularly the entire term). For the Florida Home School Law and Parent responsibilities click here
and send it to: The School Board of Broward County
Home Education Office
1400 N.W. 14 Court, Bldg. # 17 Ft. Lauderdale, FL. 33311 (send it certified, return receipt)
or fax it to: 754-321-1694
or email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuing Home Schooling:
- Each year, locate a Florida certified Teacher (see next page for some) and set up an appointment for the Annual Evaluation.
- This is due to the Home Ed. Office, one year from the date you sent in the initial Notice Of Intent to Homeschool and approximately within a month's time from that date.
- The Annual Evaluation is repeated annually until your child is 16-18.
- The Notice of Intent is not sent in annually, just initially.
- There is a possibility that your child can stay in the Home Ed. program until 19 if he/she is dual enrolled or taking classes with FLVS and is in good standing.
Send the Annual Evaluation Notice to :
The School Board of Broward County
Home Education Office
1400 N.W. 14th Court, Bldg. 17
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
Send the original Annual Evaluation Form .
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Mr. Robin Moreland, Guidance Counselor for the Home Ed. Office, please email him at: email@example.com
You can also set up a time to drop forms off and/or pick them up by emailing your request.
-All correspondence via email will receive a confirmation.
For all of Florida: How do I begin Home Schooling? Send in a "Letter-of-Intent" to your County School Board. This site deals with much local Broward County, Florida but the Florida Home School Law is the same for all counties in FL. The only difference is where you send in your correspondence. Click here for interesting Home School statistics.